Holistic Wellness 4 – Avoid Chemicals! “>;;
1. Use fresh or frozen foods instead of canned, when possible. Buy organic foods whenever possible. When you must use canned goods, make sure the inside lining of the can is BPA-free. (it will say so).
2. Use soy infant formula only if there is a medical reason for it, such as lactose intolerance or milk allergy. Genistein — a natural estrogen found in soy plants — is present in large amounts in soy-based baby formulas.
3. Don’t microwave food in plastic containers or covered with plastic wrap. When plastic is heated, the chemicals in it can more easily migrate to food.
4. Use BPA-free refillable water bottles and fill your own at home with filtered water. Check the labels when buying the bottles as there are still some out there with BPA.
5. Avoid storing food or drink in plastics with the recycling numbers 3, 6, and 7 on the bottom — or buying items packaged in these plastics.
6. Don’t use chemical poisons on plants or bugs. Don’t use DEET-containing mosquito repellents. Use natural essential oil mosquito repellents such as Green Beaver outdoor spray.
7. For drinking water, use a faucet-mounted filter that has been labelled to “remove volatile organic compounds.” (Pitcher filters may not be enough.)
8. Choose soaps, toothpastes, and deodorants without triclosan AND read the ingredient list! According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, antimicrobials like triclosan are unnecessary and may help breed drug-resistant germs. Avoid heavily fragranced products or air fresheners, which may contain phthalates.
9. When buying new furniture, make sure you DON’T get stain-release or fire-retardant fabrics or the topical treatments often sprayed on new furniture. These are highly toxic. Throw out old teflon-coated cookware and only buy the new safer coated ones. Teflon stays in our bodies for a remarkably long time, and we don’t even know what the long-term effects might be.
10. Don’t smoke! This sounds too trite to be true, but if you care about your health, you really can’t smoke without exposing a nasty soup of toxic chemicals to yourself. This also means you have to avoid second-hand smoke as well.